The Devil's Dictionary and repetition

Thu Jan 20 18:59:20 UTC 2000

A more academic study is a classic piece by Alan Dundes, "The Number Three
in American Culture" (tracing it to European and Christian roots, of
course, as others have pointed out).  I recall another article comparing
number mystiques cross-culturally but can't find the book just now (it's in
_Every Man His Way_, a collection of cultural anthropology studies, edited
by Dundes).  Peter Farb may have something in _Word Play_ too.

But these cultural systems have nothing to do with learning theory.  Larry
Horn is closer to the mark, I think; I have data from an early study by Dan
Slobin on elicited imitation in young children, in which the child, upon
hearing the prompt "I have a ball ball," interprets the repetition as
meaning modifier + head noun and repeats it exactly (with stress on the
"adjective"), whereas she doesn't fall for this trick when hearing "I want
to go go go"--she simply says "I want to go."  Since she's just over 2
years old at the time, her semantic interpretation of repetition appears to
depend on sentence structure, as Larry says.