on (not) having a cow

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 22 00:26:25 UTC 2000

This is quite interesting to me, and I'm sure to a fellow ADSer, Steve
Kleinedler--the two of us having just collaborated on a paper at the recent
LSA running concurrently with the ADS meetings at the Palmer House.  The
paper was on quasi-generic 'he' and 'man', and it concluded with an
argument that the closest parallel for the history of 'man' in English is
provided by 'cow'.  This was our punch line:
=================
 As a final point, we thought it worth noting that we have found one
lexical item whose history closely parallels that of man, in that what
started life as a true sex-neutral species label became specialized through
the passage of centuries to denote primarily the animals of the more
culturally salient sex while still marginally preserving the original
generalized species meaning in certain neutralized contexts.  That item is
cow, whose Indo-European ancestor gwo- denoted an ox or other bovine
sex-neutrally, and which only later came to take on the sex-restricted
meaning it has primarily borne since Old English, while still marginally
allowing the quasi-generic use wherein cows may embrace bulls.  This might
explain why it is that we seem fated to go on arguing about the usage and
meaning of he-man language until the cows come home.
It might be added that the 'gwo-' root gave birth to 'bovine' as well as to
'cow'.  Ah, for some Bovinity Divinity...

larry