F word update (no, film...what were you thinking?)

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Mon Jan 24 08:43:17 UTC 2000

>From Ebert's Movie Answer column:

Q. You said the f-word was first used in "MASH" in 1970. Marianne Faithfull
claimed she was the one who let that genie out of its bottle in "I'll Never
Forget What's 'is Name" in 1967. The Internet Movie Database suggests that
was a virtual tie with "Ulysses." A. Braunsdorf, Lafayette, Ind.

A. Michael Schlesinger of Sony Pictures in Los Angeles cites the 1967 Bob
Dylan documentary "Don't Look Back," then adds: "Now here's the amazing
part: I've found two uses of it in the 1930s! Near the end of Lubitsch's
`Design for Living,' Miriam Hopkins at one point rants, `those - - - -in'
Egelbauers!' It's obviously a slip, but it's there. And Jerry Beck
discovered a 1933 Looney Tune, `Bosco's Picture Show,' in which Our Hero
points to the villain and says, `The dirty - - - - - -!' His voice is
garbled, like many cartoon characters, but there's no doubt that's what he
says. And this one's a cartoon--so it's no accident!"