Idiom question

Tue Jan 25 15:53:34 UTC 2000

--- "Aaron E. Drews" <aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK> wrote:
> The main reason I'm fascinated by the discussion is
> because of another
> four-legged creature: the dog.  In Britain, a "dog"
> is male.  It's
> generic, as well, but people advertising puppies
> list "3 dogs and 2
> bitches".  I thought in American, the term was
> "stud", but looking at my
> AHD, "stud" is another generic for any breeding male
> animal.  What is the
> term for a male dog?

Another term that I have seen used for a female dog is
"slut".  I don't know if this term was ever used
"officially" by breeders or how widespread it's use
was, but I have read it in the context of a breeder
talking about parentage of the offspring.  I don't
recall the name of the book, but it dated from the
first half of the 20th century and was basically a
survival or how-to guide to gold seekers in the Yukon
and Alaska.  It wasn't about dog breeding in its
entirety, but did have a section on selecting and
breeding sled dogs.  "Slut" for "bitch" may be limited
to this region or to sled dog breeders, and may have
fallen from favor even in this context.

JIM