Any of you *not* know another language?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 2 14:18:41 UTC 2000

   This is from the NEW YORK OBSERVER, July 3-10, 2000, pg. 1, col. 1:

_PARLEZ-VOUS VIVENDI?_
_DOPEY SEAGRAM BOY_
_CAN'T EVEN DO THAT_
(Pg. 32, col. 1)
   Did you see the earphones that were clamped like a vice on Junior's skull
throughout the whole affair?  Do you want to know why they were there?  They
were there because--and I hope you're ready for this--Junior doesn't speak
French, as a Seagram spokeswoman confirmed.  "He speaks a tiny little bit,"
she said.  That's right, folks, Junior Bronfman sold his company to the
French and now he's going to be the vice chairman of the combined
entity--only he'll need a translator to have a meaningful conversation with
his boss.
   I have a big picture of how that'll work out.  After all, we're not
talking about _ordinary_ communications difficulties here--the people (col.
2--ed.) at Sony Corporation, let us say, trying to talk to the studio suits
at Columbia Pictures.  No, we're talking about the French--the worst, most
arrogant and self-absorbed language snots on earth.  They won't speak English
even when they can--and since Junior can't really speak French, it's going to
be babblesville from Day 1.

   The Seagram family comes from Canada.
   Well, not really Canada.  From Montreal, where they speak...English?