Lax vowel

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jul 4 20:02:30 UTC 2000

Dear all (especially the phonologists),

        In North America, what is _conventionally_ described as the lax
counterpart to the /o/ of _boat, groan_?  As an undergraduate, I was
taught that it was the open-o /O/ of _thought, caught_.  Is this still
what is taught and practised?  Here, a different vowel is described as
/o/'s lax counterpart, a description I prefer.  I'm trying to reconcile
these two schools of thought in my current chapter.

        Cheers,
                Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                  Departments of English Language and
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron       Theoretical & Applied  Linguistics

"MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
        --Death