tonight

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 5 21:09:03 UTC 2000

I first noticed this use in the context of reports or comments about
National Basketball Association games, where the preponderance of night
games has always been much more absolute than in baseball.  I agree that it
is spreading to baseball, but it's still more frequent in basketball uses.
I wonder if you ever get the reverse effect in football:  "We didn't block
or tackle today" (after a mediocre Monday Night Football effort).  Of
course it would be hard to tell if that would count as spreading or just
the broad use of "today" for the full 24-hour period.

larry