Out of the Loop

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Jul 6 15:27:37 UTC 2000

> On another age-related note, my mother (>55) has discovered that no
> one she works with  (mostly <45 on Long Island) knows "Bob's your
> uncle." She said in passing to a co-worker and that person said, with
> great surprise, "How'd you know?" Turns out this person did have an
> Uncle Bob and somehow "Bob's your uncle" made some kind of sense in
> that context as well.
>
> Erin McKean
> editor at verbatimmag.com

'Bob's your uncle' is still pretty common on this side of the pond, I think.
(Although probably not particularly 'hip'.)  And so long as we're kind-of
discussing exclamations, I was very grateful for the wordspy info on 'Gordon
Bennett' the other day.  Seems you can't swing a dead cat around here without
hearing 'Gordon Bennett!'

Lynne