Southern drawl origin? (non-member query)

Salikoko Mufwene mufw at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Jul 7 02:13:40 UTC 2000

At 04:15 PM 7/6/2000 -0700, A. Vine wrote:

>Texas is not the South, phonologically and culturally.  It is the West.

     That reminds me of the saying "What's in a name?" I suppose history
has a lot to do with the names of geographical regions. "South" stands for
the geographical Southeast, "North" for the geographical Northeast, and the
Midwest is barely in the geographical center of the USA compared to the
geographical West, though it is West of the eastern sates.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                        s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
University of Chicago                      773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/humanities/linguistics/faculty/mufwene.html