Filbert response from native Oregonian

Nancy Elliott nelliott1 at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Jul 9 02:40:04 UTC 2000

Filbert/Hazelnut response forwarded from a multigeneration-native of Oregon,
age 37:

Kay Hilton <kayhilton at hotmail.com> wrote:

My mom says that filberts
and hazelnuts are the same nut and that "east coasters" brought the term
"Hazelnut" to the west.  When she was growing up in Oregon, people only said
"Filbert".  I have since read an article that says there is a difference
between the two nuts - two varieties of the same family.  Now it is
fashionable to call all of the these "Hazelnuts" so I'm not sure who is
right!  My mom stubbornly insists that they are all "Filberts"!