White Bikes; Summit Fatigue

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 11 16:03:38 UTC 2000

Barry writes

>WHITE BIKES
>
>   Currently on AOL News, from Reuters, is "White Bikes," a proposal for
>Amsterdam transportation.  Cheap bikes (painted white) are placed in certain
>areas, and anyone can use them.

This was originally tried by the Provos (sort of Dutch Yippies) in the late
'60s and '70s but they were Orange Bikes.

>SUMMIT FATIGUE
>
>   Someone mentioned "summit fatigue," as in, "Not another Arab-Israeli
>summit again!"

Speaking of which, I just heard a "-rage" extension yesterday.  One hockey
father battered another to death in Massachusetts during a game involving
their 10-year-old sons and this was described on the national news last
night as an instance of "rink rage".

larry