'kife' vs. 'kipe'

Joan Houston Hall jdhall at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Wed Jul 12 15:39:48 UTC 2000

DARE enters it at "kipe," with "kife," "kipp," and "kype" as variant forms.
 We say "[Etym uncert; cf _EDD kip_ v.4 "To take the property of another by
fraud or violence"; _OED kip_ v. '_Obs._']"  The regional label is
"scattered, but esp West."