Motor City; Let Her Go, Gallagher

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 14 21:05:58 UTC 2000

MOTOR CITY (continued)

   From CITY DIRECTORIES OF THE UNITED STATES, Segment IV, Detroit, MI, reel 572, pg. 1495, col. 3:

Motor City Building Co  David M Anderson pres Alf Deans v-pres Jno F Brown sec-treas 1550 Penobscot bldg

Motor City Sales Co  F M Hecox Mgr, Dealers in All Kinds of Rebuilt Motor Trucks and New Trailmobiles (Semi and Four Wheel Trailers), 859-861 Woodward av, Tel Glendale 5293 (see Pg. 153)

Motor City Tool Co  Frank Nichols pres Arthur Totz v-pres Albert E Leslie sec-treas 258 Mt Elliott av

LET HER GO, GALLAGHER (continued)

   From the DETROIT EVENING JOURNAL, 2 September 1886, pg. 3, col. 1:

_LET HER GO, GALLAGHER_
_HOW SLANG DEVELOPS AND GROWS POPULAR_
This Particular Piece of Slang Came From a Tragedy--Uncle Phil Armour in Clover--Liberal Offers.
   _St. Louis Spectator._
   I find myself in the position to contribute something to the current literature in regard to slang phrases.  In the Sunday Sayings of last week there is a paragraph to this effect:  "I have wondered where the new slang phrase, 'Let her go, Gallagher,' and 'Chippie, get your hair cut,' originated."  They are not particularly bright or meaning on a casual hearing, and I am at a loss to account for the universality of their usage.
   The first phrase, "Let her go, Gallagher," I first heard in Kentucky several years ago, and have marked its gradual spreading.  The circumstances under which it originated were these:  In Herrodsburg, Ky., there was a terrible bully and desperado named Bob Gallagher, who had at different times killed some six of eight men, but under such circumstances that he always escaped punishment upon the plea of self-defense.  In his broils he was usually abetted by his two sons, and the trio were a terror in the community.  During the period of lawlessness which succeeded the war, he applied for the position of twon marshal or policeman.  The authorities thought it might prove a good thing, as he and his sons would be held in check, to some extent, and they needed just such a person to deal with the unruly element which was causing so much trouble.  He was sworn in and with good effect for a time.  He inaugurated a perfect reign of terror, and for several years it worked like a charm!
.  Finally one day some turbulent spirits came in from a neighboring county, and under the influence of liquor there was a row which Gallagher and his two sons failed to subdue with the accustomed liberal use of their clubs.  Pulling out a pistol he threatened to shoot; quick as thought the other fellow--Hanks, I believe, was his name--pulled his pistol and snapped it so close to Gallagher that it burned the button on his vest, shouting as he did so: "Let her go, Gallagher."  Gallagher did "let her go," and killed Hanks instantly; he and his sons then fired a number of shots into the dead body of his victim.  The murder and trial by which he was acquitted created such a sensation at the time, and he account of it was spread far and wide, coupled with the phrase, "Let her go, Gallagher," which has since become a by-word.

   Maybe the Kentucky Historical Society can trace these names now.
   It appears that the "Chippie, get your hair cut" phrase was cut off from this reprint.