michigoose and michigas

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Tue Jul 18 11:57:18 UTC 2000

But he may have a point, because we're talking about English here and the
traditional culture of English-speaking people.  Another traditional English
domestic animal for which the unmarked name designates the female is the
sheep.  (But I wouldn't say that "cow" could refer to a bull -- we had a
discussion about cows and bulls recently, I think.)

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102