New thread--a curious thing

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jul 18 15:36:41 UTC 2000

Dear ADS folk,

How many of you use the interjection "yipes" as opposed to "yikes"?  This is
an odd question perhaps, but I've always used "yikes."  When I recently
attempted to use it in an e-mail, my spell-checker on Outlook Express called
me on it.  I didn't find yikes in the American Heritage, but I did find
yipes.  I grew up with yikes, but I couldn't begin to tell you where I got
it (so if you'd please send money for research . . .).

I'm guessing that yikes is a variant of yoicks, but I have no idea whether
this is true or not.  I'm just curious:  yikes or yipes or yoicks?  Which do
you use?

--

Bob Haas
Department of English