City Adjs. (Mexico City, Washington)

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Tue Jul 18 21:40:46 UTC 2000

This talk of schools throws me back to the Wolverine issue. People from
Indiana are Hoosiers, but even though Michigan is the Wolverine State, can
you really define Wolverine as a resident of Michigan (as AHD3, MW10,
RHC99, and WNW all do)? As someone who attended Michigan State for a
couple years, I can attest that I would not consider myself a Wolverine,
and I'm sure there are thousands of Spartans that feel the same. (For
those not familiar with the school mascots, the University of Michigan's
mascot is a wolverine, and that of Michigan State University is the
Spartan.)

I don't see Michigander as being equivalent to Wolverine.

Are all Wisconsites Badgers? Are all Minnesotans Gophers? Ohioans
Buckeyes?

dInIs, what's your take on the Michigan thing?

--- Steve K.