Hoosiers, etc.

Frank Abate Abatefr at CS.COM
Wed Jul 19 14:45:37 UTC 2000

I expect that if the state-resident moniker was in use earlier, such that the
college/university picked it up to use for the team nickname/mascot, then
that name would still have general applicability, as with Hoosier.  But do
Indiana-native students or alums of Indiana State, Purdue, etc., mind being
called Hoosiers?  Perhaps someone out there can answer.

Tangentially related: I think Merriam has correspondence on Hoosier, replying
to an objection raised some years back by Dan Quayle re the etymology they
gave.  They put him in his place with their reply, as I recall.

FWIW, I went to Ohio State for grad school, and lived in Ohio most of my
life, but would find it strange to be called a Buckeye.

Frank Abate