"increasing" use of/SEMANTIC CHANGE

Barnhart ADS-L at HIGHLANDS.COM
Wed Jul 19 16:51:27 UTC 2000

Frank Abate wrote:
>As for decrying the decline of the language, this has been happening for
>centuries, and not only for English.  Cicero did the same re Latin.
>It's a
>tired old theme.  The language certainly changes and grows, but it is
>very
>hard to prove that it is in decline.

I am so glad to be reminded of Cicero.   Right now I'm doing a little
piece on semantic change.  Any recent studies of reversal of meaning
(or whatever the obscure technical term for it is) would be helpful.

Regards,
David Barnhart

David K. Barnhart, Editor
The Barnhart Dictionary Companion [quarterly]
barnhart at highlands.com
www.highlands.com/Lexik

"Necessity obliges us to neologize."
Thomas Jefferson-August 16, 1813