Hair cutting places

Anna Fellegy felle001 at TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Jul 19 23:43:59 UTC 2000

In Minnesota, at least in my experience, "barber shop" has been "the haircutting place for
men," and "beauty shop" has been "the haircutting place for women." "Beauty shop" seems to be
getting usurped by "salon," and "salon" is becoming "the unisex haircutting place," which I
think was already suggested. The haircutting chains in Minnesota are definitely unisex.

(Incidentally, how about those "haircutting-place" names, eh? For instance: "Sail on into
Linda's Hair Port," "Hair-itage," and (my personal favorite) "Language of Hair"--perhaps
unemployed linguists could take up work in "hair as a second language.")

Anna Fellegy