"increasing" use of variable TRY AND

JP Villanueva jvillanu at CTC.CTC.EDU
Thu Jul 20 15:52:32 UTC 2000

I apologize if I'm rehashing, but is everyone sure that these two forms
are necessarily competing?  Both forms can take a bare infinitive:

"Try to be nice." and "Try and be nice."

But the _try_and_ construction is less productive:

"I'm trying to sleep." vs. *****"I'm trying and sleep."

So, to me it seems, _try to_ is construction that acts as a fully
productive verb, whereas _try and_ is a chunk used for only for
non-negative imperatives.  Check out the negative:

"Try to stop me!"     "Try and stop me!"
"Don't try to stop me."      *****"Don't try and stop me!"

Now, I'm sure other speakers will have different intuitions, but my point
is this:  if they're not equally productive in the rest of the paradigm,
they're probably NOT competing forms.  _Try_and_ can never userp _try_to_.

Parting shots before I go back to bed:  I grew up in the Pacific Northwest
before all the "californians" moved in and tried to change my dialect, so
either, neither /i/
often /afen/
hoof, roof, foot, root /U/

My undergrads tried to heckle me and my "hick" pronunciation once, but I
told them that I was tired of assimilating already and that I would never
be White-like-them.  They backed off (winkity wink).

                        -johnpatrickVillanueva-
                          jvillanu at ctc.ctc.edu