You say "either"

Nancy Elliott nelliott1 at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jul 20 20:21:18 UTC 2000

In 20th century America, the [ay]ther pronunciation pops up a bit more in
Eastern New England than elsewhere, and this pronunciation goes hand-in-hand
with r-lessness as features of the prestige variety that actors & actresses
were coached to imitate in films before the 1960s.

The r-lessly high-status Fred Astaire ([ay]ther) and the r-fully
down-to-earth Ginger Rogers ([iy]ther) exploited this difference in their
famous song on the subject (and in the dialogue preceding it) in the 1937
film "Shall We Dance?"

Nancy Elliott
Southern Oregon University