Vichysoisse (Continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 20 20:52:03 UTC 2000

   A follow-up on "Vichysoisse."  I did NOT see it in the menu collection for 1936 and 1937, although there were mostly railroad and ship menus.
   (I'm typing this in the NYPL.  The past two days, I typed SEND and the AOL screen went blank.)
   From Lucius Beebe's "This New York" column, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 16 July 1938, pg. 12, col. 1:

   For the potage enthusiasts who are forever in search of a recipe for creme vichysoisse, this department herewith prints its annual formula, stemming this year from the kitchen of Jack and Charlie's ("21" Club--ed.), where this particular cold soup is really one of the things to have.  Slice two onions, three leeks and six medium-size white potatoes; put onions and leeks in pan to brown and add sliced potatoes, two teaspoonfuls of flour and one gallon of white soup stock.  Cook forty minutes or until potatoes are ready to fall apart, strain, cool and add heavy cream to taste.  Top off with nutmeg and salt and serve as cold as possible, preferably in a soup cup packed in ice.  These proportions are for twelve persons.