SEE IF/WHETHER as embedded Q (Zwicky's suggestion)

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jul 25 04:45:21 UTC 2000

In support of Arnold's suggestion that the IF following SEE is an embedded
Q Complementizer, WHETHER can be substituted in most examples

        Let me see IF/WHETHER I can't help you.

Also, in varieties that can invert auxiliaries in embedded questions, my
sense is that this is possible (though not being a native speaker I can't
be sure):

        He asked me to see IF I couldn't pry the lid off.

        He asked me to see COULDN'T I pry the lid off.

Rudy