WITHIN in sports journalism

Frank Abate abatefr at CS.COM
Tue Jul 25 15:18:49 UTC 2000

Mike et al.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but the problem I have with this usage is that it seems to extend the core meaning of prep. "within", which is 'inside of' or 'not beyond (a specified limit)'.  But the specified limit of the second sense, if concrete, denotes being inside the limit (e.g., "within a mile").  If the difference in a score is exactly one point at a given time, I would think the precise way of stating this would be using "at" or "to" or otherwise (e.g., *"with that basket, the Bulls are at one point/move it to one point/are one point behind").   I'm asking because the OED and other dicts don't seem to cover this usage, which seems an extension of the literal, however slight.

Frank Abate