earlier specimen of gank

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 29 10:10:42 UTC 2000

At 5:51 PM -0400 7/29/00, Bernard W. Kane wrote:
>FWIW, following is substance of cite I submitted to major dictionary in
>January 1995 (they didn't use it; probably not enough support for it)
>
>gank move
>
>(printed on a package of instant oatmeal from QUAKER OATS COMPANY, Chicago,
>furn to finder by one of his sources December 1994)
>
>(Question) Hot Language: What does "gank move" mean?
>      A. to trick someone out of money.
>      B. To dance poorly.
>      C. To wreck something.
>      D. To get into trouble.
>
>(Answer) A. I did a gank move and got my little brother's allowance!
>
>(But note: based on later exx, Answer C might also be acceptable)

I noticed a recording act with the name "Gank Move" when I was
looking up ganking on the web.  There are also a lot of rap and
hip-hop lyrics in which "gank move" is used for the act of ripping
someone off; no trickery necessarily involved here, just brute force.
Some variation involved, evidently.

Larry