earlier specimen of gank

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 29 22:38:27 UTC 2000

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Bernard W. Kane wrote:

> FWIW, following is substance of cite I submitted to major dictionary in
> January 1995 (they didn't use it; probably not enough support for it)
>
> gank move
>
> (printed on a package of instant oatmeal from QUAKER OATS COMPANY, Chicago,
> furn to finder by one of his sources December 1994)

The earliest citation I can readily find is the following:

1989 _Chicago Tribune_ 19 July (Nexis)  In their confession to police, the
two youths said they would go "make a run" or "gank an o.g.," which means
they would drive around until they spotted an elderly woman, usually at a
bank or shopping center or near a school.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2