jams, jellies, and preserves

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Thu Jun 1 08:24:48 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Kim & Rima McKinzey <rkm at SLIP.NET>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: jams, jellies, and preserves

>>...  Marmalade comes in orange, lemon, and grapefruit varieties.
>
>And lime and tangerine and ginger...

Ginger marmalade!?! Oh frabjous day! I now have a quest...

And so, with the inclusion of ginger marmalade, any simple rule that might
have been, citrus fruits with peels (the peel qualifier saves us from the
whole lemon curd issue...) make marmalades for example, gets tossed right
out the window. What is it with this %^%%$##$*ing language anyway. Can't
there just be a rule and have it followed? Oy.

And to drag this back to topic...however did ginger come to refer to
red/orange hair in the UK? I could understand blonde, but red?

bkd