metadata?

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Thu Jun 1 16:54:44 UTC 2000

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 5/31/2000 6:48:43 PM, pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU writes:
>
> << Does the prior generic existence of a word preclude registering it as a
> trademark and thus reserving it for that purpose from then on? >>
>
> The short answer is "yes." You can't, for example, register "refrigerator" or
> "bicycle."

About four or five years ago, there was a major brouhaha when some
publisher tried to trademark Bear, a common descriptor for burly, hairy,
huggable bearlike gay men.

Anyhow, I know the publisher had gotten fairly far along in the
process, and there was hue and cry, but then I haven't heard anything of
it since, so I'm assuming the publisher lost, since bear is still used
unencumbered by TM language.

--- Steve K.