Highball; Bloody Bull; Caipirinha

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 2 00:52:10 UTC 2000

     Half hour to Regis!

HIGHBALL

     This is from THE OFFICIAL MIXER'S MANUAL (New York, 1934) by Patrick
Gavin Duffy, pg. VIII:

     It is one of my fondest hopes that the highball will again take its
place as the leading American drink.  I admit to being prejudiced about
this--it was I who first brought the highball to America, in 1895.  Although
the distinction is claimed by the Parker House in Boston, I was finally given
due credit for this innovation in the _New York Times_ of not many years ago.

     I checked the New York Times Personal Name Index.  I didn't look at "P.
G. Duffy" (there was another).  "Patrick Gavin Duffy" turned up only one
hit--a review of this and other drink books, such as THE SAVOY COCKTAIL BOOK
(recently reprinted).  From THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW, 11 February 1934,
pg. 17, col. 2:

     "The Official Mixer's Manual," by Patrick Gavin Duffy, whose talents as
a concocter of noble beverages are widely and admiringly known, is a book to
keep on the consecrated shelf where Professor Jerry Thomas's immortal "Bon
Vivant's Companion," with an introduction by Herbert Asbury, has long held
the place of honor.  Mr. Duffy's book is arranged in loose-leaf form, bound
in strong voers, and indexed so skillfully that its thousands of drinks (No
Bloody Mary--ed.) can easily be found.  A bartender of the great tradition
himself, Mr. Duffy has served many American notables at the Ashland House.
One of his claims to fame is that he introduced the highball to America.

BLOODY BULL

     From GOURMET, February 1972, pg. 1, col. 2:

     _Hitting the Bull's Eye_
SIRS:  Here is a variation on your Bull Shot recipe ("Gourmet's Menus,"
October, 1971).  I've known people who do not like Bull Shots or Bloody Marys
but come back for seconds when Bloody Bulls are being served.

     _Bloody Bull_
     For each drink put 2 ounces each of tomato juice and beef broth in a
cocktail shaker with 1 1/2 ounces vodka.  Squeeze in the juice of a lemon
wedge and drop in the lemon.  Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and salt and
pepper to taste.  Cover the shaker and shake the mixture until it is
thoroughly blended.  Strain it into an Old Fashioned glass over ice cubes.
RAY H. WHALEN
WILLOWDALE, ONTARIO, CANADA

CAIPIRINHA (continued)

     From GOURMET, "Brazil" travel holiday, December 1973, pg. 136, col. 2:

     I began my first lunch with the traditional _batida_, a drink made of
the Brazilian white rum _cachaca_, which I find appealing.  In the course of
my stay I tried most varieties of _batida_: _de limao_ (lime or lemon),
_coco_ (coconut milk), _abacaxi_ (pineapple), _maracuja_ (passion fruit),
_tamarindo_ (tamarind), _goiaba_ (guava), and _tangerina_ (tangerine).  I
found the lime _batida_ the most refreshing and usually not oversweetened.
The preparation is simple enough--lime juice, ice, sugar, and _cachaca_
shaken thoroughly and strained into a small glass.  No ice is added to the
glass.  It is often difficult to get ice for a drink; presumably, if the
drink is served cold, that is enough.  I prefer the other popular Brazilian
rum cocktail, _caipirinha_, which includes tiny pieces of cut-up lime, skin
and all.  The limes have a wonderful flavor.  I was also much taken by the
bottled soft drink _guarana_, made from a shrub, slightly tart and very
refreshing in Salvador's heat.