metadata?

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Fri Jun 2 12:21:39 UTC 2000

I remember being told by a legal person a number of years ago that simply
the act of sending such letters as mentioned below fulfills the obligation
of the trademark holder to protect the trademark -- or something like that.
They don't need to pursue the matter past that.  Perhaps someone else on the
list has more complete information on this?

And speaking of dictionary representation of trademarks, one of the sillier
things is the representation of the long-established standard word 'loafer'
for a type of shoe as a trademark in all the major dictionaries in this
country, most without any recognition of its validity as a generic term at
all.  I was very surprised the first time I saw this in a dictionary,
because I could not remember having heard of the actual brand name at all,
and I don't think I've ever seen it to this day.

Victoria
Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102
Tel: 413-734-3134  ext 124