Moo Goo Gai Pan; Egg Foo Yong

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 3 04:07:43 UTC 2000

MOO GOO GAI PAN

     OED has done "M," so where is Moo Goo Gai Pan?  OED's one mention is
from VERBATIM, 1980-81, under "agma."
     I'm a vegetarian and I don't order this dish, but I just like saying it!
 Moo Goo Gai Pan!  It sounds like something Jesse's or Erin's kids would
order.
     From GOURMET, March 1957, pg. 64, col. 2:

Q. I want to give a dinner party, Chinese style, and I'd like the recipe for
_moo goo gai pen_, my favorite Chinese dish.
MRS. RUTH TROIANI
POUND RIDGE, NEW YORK
A. _Chacun a son moo goo_, say we!
     _Moo Goo Gai Pen_
     In a heavy skillet heat 3 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and a dash
of pepper.  Add 2 cups cooked chicken, cut in julienne strips, 1/2 cup each
of celery, water chestnuts, and cooked mushrooms, all finely sliced, 1/2 cup
each of _bok choy_ hearts and bamboo shoots, both cut into 1-inch pieces, 1
teaspoon finely minced ginger root, and 1 cup chicken broth.  Cover the pan
tightly and cook the mixture over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
     Stir 2 tablespoons cornstarch to a paste with 2 teaspoons soy sauce and
1/4 cup water, and stir the paste into the vegetable-chicken mixture.  Add 1
cup tender young snow-pea pods, stringed.  Cover the pan tightly and cook the
_moo goo gai pen_ for another minute or two.  Serve it with rice.

     From GOURMET, August 1970, pg. 58, col. 1:

Q. Please give me a recipe for _moo goo gai pan_.
WILLIAM S. CARPENTER
BRIDGEPORT, CONNECTICUT
A. Get out your _wok_ and follow the directions below.
     _Moo Goo Gai Pan_
     _(Chinese Chicken with Mushrooms)_
     Skin and bone 1 chicken breast and cut the meat into cubes.  COmbine 2
teaspoons cornstarch with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and
dredge the chicken cubes in this mixture until they are evenly coated.  In a
_wok_ or skillet stir-fry 2 or 3 slices of gingerroot and 1 garlic clove, all
minced, in 2 tablespoons oil for 1 minute.  Add the chicken cubes and
stir-fry them for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they begin to brown.  Drain the
liquid from a 4-ounce can of button mushrooms, reserving 1/4 cup, add the
mushrooms to the chicken, and heat them through.  Blend 1 tablespoon
cornstarch into the reserved mushroom liquid and stir the paste into the
sauce until it is thickened.  If desired, 10 to 12 snow peas, 4 water
chestnuts, sliced, and 1 tablespoon oil may be added with the chicken.  Serve
the dish at once.  Serves 4.

EGG FOO YONG

     OED has 1917 and 1928 citations, but with different spellings.
     From NEW SALADS, BRIDGE LUNCHEONS, CANNED MEALS (1933) by the Chicago
Daily News, pg. 298:

     _EGG FOO YONG_
     Ten eggs, one cup shredded onion, two cups sprouts, one cup finely cut
roasted or boiled cold meat of any kind, or shrimp, lobster, crabmeat or tuna
fish; drain all juice off the sprouts, mix thoroughly with meat and onion,
beat the eggs slightly and add to the mixture.  Divide into equal parts by
using a soup ladle of three-quarters cup capacity, pour gradually into a
frying pan containing one-half inch of very hot fat.  When one side is
browned turn over and brown the other.  For gravy thicken the quantity needed
of good soup stock with cornstarch and brown with brown or soy sauce.  Add
salt and pepper to suit your taste.  Serve hot over egg foo yong.