Anadama/Yami-Dami Bread

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 4 01:33:23 UTC 2000

    "Anadama Bread" has been an etymological puzzle for a long time.  It's a
bread made from cornmeal and molasses.
    DARE cites DIALECT NOTES (1915), lists "NEng," and states "Etym unknown;
for folk-etym, see quots."
    John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK also states that the
term dates in print from 1915.  The often-given etymology is "Anna, damn
her!"  This sounds as convincing to me as "Whose ear?" for Hoosier.
    Another etymology has it that Anna has this on her gravestone:  "ANNA WAS
A LOVELY BRIDE, BUT ANNA, DAMN HER, UP AND DIED."
    From MORE RECIPES FOR FIFTY (Boston, 1918) by Frances Lowe Smith, pg. 17:

    _Yami-Dami Bread_
1 quart boiling water
1 cup rye meal
2 cups corn meal
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup molasses
2 tablespoons salt
1 yeast cake in 1/2 cup cold water
1 1/2 quarts bread flour
1 quart rye or barley flour
     Mix corn and rye meal, add boiling water, stir until smooth.  Add salt,
fat, and molasses; cool.  Add dissolved yeast and bread flour.  Beat well,
and add rye or barley flour to knead as soft as can be handled.  Let rise
over night; shape, let rise until double in bulk, and bake an hour or more in
moderate oven.  Makes three large loaves.

    This "Yami-Dami" spelling (in my opinion) probably kills "Anna, damn
her."  I'll have to check for this spelling on MOA and other databases.