Chimichanga origin

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Jun 4 05:29:04 UTC 2000

The chimichanga is a type of burrito, and evidently originated in the NW
Mexico/SW US area, though it spread with remarkable rapidity. I found
chimichangas in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois in the early 1980s. There was
an article speculating on its origin in the Arizona Daily Star (Tucson)
several years ago, in the weekly food section, but I don't remember the
details. It may be possible to check the archives of the paper, but I
doubt that they are machine-accessible that far back. The paper maintains
a current electronic form in its AZSTAR.NET.

        Rudy