Berliner

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 6 05:11:44 UTC 2000

BERLINER PFAUNKUCHEN

"I am a Berliner Pfaunkuchen."
--John F. Kennedy

   From OUR FRIENDS' RECIPES (Sioux City, Iowa, 1918), pg. 112:

   _BERLINER PFAUNKUCHEN_
   The day before needed cook until soft one pound prunes with several slices of lemon and sugar to sweeten.  Roll enough coffee cake dough on well-floured board to cover and cut into squares about two inches long.  Put in center of each one teaspoon chopped prunes which have been slightly warmed.  Now pinch the corners well together, round, turn upside down and put on well-floured board in warm place until light.  Drop in hot fat until brown and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

   Next Tuesday (June 13th), I'll leave for a short research trip to Pittsburgh & Chicago.  It's hard to believe I ever held anything against Chicago!
   I'll try to say something nice about New York City:
   It's nice The New York Times can judge that my "Big Apple" work is wrong without seeing it.
   It's nice that The New York Times can judge that my other work wasn't plagiarized without investigating it.
   It's nice that the late Convention & Visitors Bureau President Charles Gillett now has his position filled by a woman whose sole qualification is that she had sex with the mayor.
   It's nice that Hillary Clinton is running for Senator in New York.
   I CAN'T DO IT!  I CAN'T DO IT!!