the vital importance of grammar in everyday life

Wed Jun 7 01:21:36 UTC 2000

I have to agree with Peter that this is more amusing than most threads.

First off, I want to stress that I am not trying to befuddle or irritate
Ron. My point is simply that my interpretation is different than his, and in
fact, when I first commented on this thread, I genuinely believed that Ron
had simply overlooked the normal interpretation. I believe this is a matter
of pragmatic interpretation as well as grammar.

I do read the newspaper in the bathroom (the room of refuge at home), but I
don't smoke (in or out of the restroom), so cigarette paper wouldn't occur
to me. As for term papers, well it just seems silly (even more than the
thread itself!) that someone might ask me for any dissertation much less
*the* dissertation in the john.

This is why if the questioner had a non-native accent, I might analyze what
part of his grammar was making the question strange. I might then figure out
that he means *any* toilet paper.

I can only interpret Ron's interpretation to mean that he doesn't and has
never thought of reading the newspaper in the bathroom, hence his
interpretation.

If I had no newspaper, my neighbor asked me for *the* paper, *and* I somehow
felt obliged to reply, I would say I didn't have *one*.

As for the grammar, if the form of the question were, "Is there any paper
over there?" I would assume toilet paper to be the object being asked for.
But, "Do you have the paper?" is definitely a newspaper to me. Not to say
that others don't have other interpretations.

Again, my earlier posts were not intended to be inflammatory, and I
apologize if they appeared that way.

Benjamin Barrett
gogaku at ix.netcom.com