Tostada & Salsa

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 12 23:59:40 UTC 2000

  In that previous posting, it should be mentioned that the RAMONA'S book cover shows Ramona's home--Camulos Ranch, California.  The 1929 book was "edited and modernized by Pauline Wiley-Kleemann."

TOSTADA

  The OED's first citation of "burrito" is E. Fergusson, MEXICAN COOKBOOK (1934).  The OED's first citation of "tostados" is E. Fergusson, MEXICAN COOKBOOK (2nd edition, 1945).  "Tostada" is not in the first edition?
  "Tostada," "quesadilla," and "menudo" (I think) are all in that COOKING SOUTH OF THE RIO GRANDE (1935) by George Luther Nelson.  I requested copies because I didn't have time to write it all down.

  From GEBHARDT'S MEXICAN COOKERY FOR AMERICAN HOMES (San Antonio, 1935):

Pg. 11:  _TORTILLAS TOSTADAS_
(Toasted Tortillas)
Cur Tortillas (Mexican Style) into pieces one inch square or smaller and fry in deep fat (390 degrees F.) until a delicate brown in color.  Drain on absorbent paper; sprinkle with salt.

Pg. 31:  _CREMA TOSTADA DE MAIZ Y CHILI_
(Corn and Chili Custard)
No. 1 can Gebhardt's Chili con Carne
1 1/2 c. corn
1 c. milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. salt
1 c. soft bread crumbs
Mix ingredients and turn into a well greased casserole.  Place casserole in a pan of warm water and bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.) about 30 minutes or until custard sets.

Pg. 36:  _Salsas_
(Salad Dressings and Sauces) (...)
SALSA DE CHILI (Chili Sauce) (...)
Pg. 37:  POLLO EN PARRILLAS CON SALSA BARBACOA (Broiled Chicken with Barbecue Sauce) (...)
SALSA DE BARACOA (BARBECUE SAUCE I & II) (...)
Pg. 38:  SALSA A LA MEXICANA PARA PESCADO (Mexican Sauce for Fish) (...)
SALSA ENDIABLADA (Deviled Sauce) (...)
SALSA COCKTAIL PARA PESCADO (Sea Food Cocktail Sauce) (...)
Pg. 39:  SALSA FRANCESA (French Dressing) (...)
SALSA DE GEBHARDT PARA ENSALADA (Gebhardt's Salad Dressing) (...)
SALSA DE ENSALADA COCIDA (Cooked Salad Dressing)