Accents in Am. English

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Wed Jun 14 12:34:56 UTC 2000

I think it makes sense to use the accent marks if including a
clearly foreign word or phrase in something but not if the word
has become a normal part of the English language.  Just as
borrowed words usually adapt to English phonology, they adapt
to English orthography.  English spelling doesn't use accent
marks.

I would consider putting an accent mark on a word like resume
when writing in English just as pretentious as pronouncing
borrowed words in an un-English way.  (I find it especially
amusing when a pseudo-sophisticate screws up and accidentally
spits on the listener in an attempt to pronounce Bach "properly.")
   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)