Great expectorations (was: Accents in Am. English)

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Thu Jun 15 16:24:04 UTC 2000

Natalie Maynor <maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU> writes:

I would consider putting an accent mark on a word like resume
when writing in English just as pretentious as pronouncing
borrowed words in an un-English way.  (I find it especially
amusing when a pseudo-sophisticate screws up and accidentally
spits on the listener in an attempt to pronounce Bach "properly.")
<<<<<

In Klingon this happens all the time!  }}}:->\  Just t'other day I had to avert
my face from my interlocutors when exemplifying -- over lunch -- the voiceless
uvular and coronal affricates Q and tlh. Rice all over....

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
 Subcmdr. Marke'm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
                     http://world.std.com/~mam/
           http://world.std.com/~mam/klingon/Klingon.html