Busker (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 15 19:29:55 UTC 2000

   Greetings from the Carnegie Mellon University library archives.  I leave for Chicago at 8:10 p.m.  I've never been to Madison, Wisconsin--is it easy to get to by train/plane from Chicago on Sunday?

JOE BLOW

  The Barry Buchanan papers have "Blow, Joe--see Joe Blow" under Circus (Slang).  I haven't gotten to "J" yet.  Joe Blow's from the circus?

BUSKER (continued)

  We had a "busker" discussion a little while back.  It's here in CIRCUS:

busker  Colloquialism for a performance given without admission charge.  A collection is taken up during the performance.  This procedure is never followed, except in the case of a stranded show, which wants to raise enough money for railroad fare to another town, or to get home.  The term is derived from Buskin (which see under Section Theater).

busking  Giving a performance at which a collection is taken up.  Cf. busker.