Data

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Jun 16 17:18:45 UTC 2000

Larry and dInIs and Larry's wife and all the rest are on the
money. Data appears to be the neuter plural of the past participle of
_dare_ 'to give'--meaning 'things given' or, as we used to milk it for all
it was worth back in high-school Latin, 'having-been-given things'. The
singular was -datum- (rhymes with "got 'em"), but no one cared to talk
about that.  On the other hand, U.S. and sentence geography could change
that pronunciation radically. Did anyone at Boston Latin School say
"dater" with hiatus-r, as in "These dater are screwy"?

Peter