"on Language"

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Fri Jun 16 19:55:46 UTC 2000

>    About a year ago, William Safire stated in his column that his
>Syracuse University professor had coined the term "social climber."
>    I instantly found an earlier hit on JSTOR, and Fred Shapiro found
>an even earlier citation and posted it here.  (The New York Times
>"On Language" column was never corrected.)

What day of the week is On Language printed.  I no longer get the
print version of the IHT and I don't know if I can read the feature
columns on-line, but it would help if I knew which day of the week's
archive to sift through (I vaguely remember that it's the same in the
IHT and the NYT).

Thanks!

Aaron
Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

  "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
        --Death