"Kidpreneur" in WSJ

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Jun 20 17:11:57 UTC 2000

YUCK!!!

I'm sorry--I don't know whether the word or the idea behind it disgusts me
more.  Not only is business trying to remake every part of society in its
own image, now it can't even let our kids have a childhood before
instilling in them the idea that the only acceptable thing to be when you
grow up is an "entrepreneur."  I guess kids are supposed to be born with a
stock option in their mouths, and as soon as they learn to walk, "playing"
will be replaced with "competing."  And as for their parents, hey, who
wants to "visit" when you can "network" instead?

O.k., end of off-topic tirade.

Peter Mc.

--On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 12:42 PM -0400 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    I've heard "kidpreneur" before, and I'm still not sold on the term.
>    Kid entrepreneurs.  Cute, but stupid. From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 20
>    June 2000, pg. B1, col. 2:
>
> _"Kidpreneurs" Program Focuses on Minority Youngsters_
> _Ripe Business Opportunity Is Found as Kids Are Urged to Be Entrepreneurs_
>    (...)  The collection of youngsters, ranging from age 4 to 18, is part
>    of the Kidpreneurs program, an offshoot of Black Enterprise magazine,
>    which holds an annual conference for black entrepreneurs.  About 120
>    "kidpreneurs" took part in the kids version of the conference last
>    month, while their parents attended workshops and networking sessions
>    held by the magazine.

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu