Devil's Food; Bluffin

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 23 02:05:11 UTC 2000

DEVIL'S FOOD

   Here's the Devil that I promised.  Jesse Sheidlower wants publishing info--the devil's in the details.
   From THE CAPITOL COOK BOOK: A SELECTION OF TESTED RECIPES (1899) by The Ladies of Albert Sidney Johnson Chapter, Daughters of the Confederacy, compiled by Mrs. E. G. Myers (Austin, Texas), Von Boeckmann, Schutze & Company, Printers, pg. 123:

   _DEVIL'S FOOD._
One-half cup of butter.
Two cups of light brown sugar.
One-half cup of sour cream.
Two eggs.
Three cups of sifted flour.
One ounce of chocolate dissolved in one-quarter of boiling water; mix in batter.
One level teaspoonful of soda, mixed in sour cream.
Bake in three layers.
Filling: Two cups of brown sugar, 3/4 cup of sweet milk, butter the size of an egg.  Put on stove and stir till it comes to a boil, take off, whip till cool, and flavor with vanilla.
MRS. GEORGE WALLING.

   _DEVIL'S FOOD._
One half-cup of butter.
One cup of sugar.
One cup of milk.
Two and one-half cups of flour.
Two teaspoonfuls of baking powder.
One whole egg and one yolk.
One teaspoonful of vanilla.
One-half a cake bitter chocolate.
One cup of sugar.
One=half cup of milk.
Yolk of 1 egg.
Put this in a pan and set on the back of the stove; heat until chcolate is melted.  DO not boil.  Add to batter.  Bake in layers, and put together with white frosting.
MISS ELLA BEDELL