summer project-DARE pairs

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sun Jun 25 00:36:20 UTC 2000

re MANGO 'bell/sweet pepper': i'm sure we've had this discussion
before, but it might have been some years ago.  in central ohio and
central illinois (and by interpolation, central indiana, though i
can't swear to it), at least up to about twenty years ago, plain ol'
MANGO was a pepper (it took me a while to get used to ordering mango
pizzas), and the tropical fruit (which i adore, messy though it is
to consume) is a FRUIT MANGO.

just the usual (material) markedness of the (conceptually or
experientially) marked item, as larry horn explained in the earlier
discussion.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)