Between-the-Sheets (Brandy, Cointreau, Bacardi)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 25 02:29:34 UTC 2000

    OED doesn't have Between-the-Sheets!
    Between-the-Sheets beats Sex-on-the-Beach anytime!!
    This is from MY 35 YEARS BEHIND BARS: MEMORIES AND ADVICE OF A BARTENDER,
INCLUDING A LIQUOR GUIDE (Exposition Press, NY, 1954) by Johnny Brooks (who
worked at the old Waldorf-Astoria, Rector's, Texas Guinan's, Jack Dempsey's,
the Stork Club, the House of Morgan, the Glass Hat of the Belmont Plaza
Hotel, the Gruenwald Hotel in New Orleans, et al.) :

Pg. 88 (INVENTING DRINKS):  In New Rochelle one year, I made up a concoction
which I called "between-the-sheets."  Later, I found that some house in
Alabama claimed to have served the same drink before I did.  I wrote to them,
and asked for some proof, but I never got an answer to my letter.  Well,
maybe they did have the same idea.  You hear of scientific discoveries being
made by men in diffferent parts of the world at the same time.  But I still
think I was the first to make between-the-sheets.

Pg. 129, col. 1:
BETWEEN THE SHEETS
1/3 brandy
1/3 Cointreau
1/3 Bacardi
Juice of 1/2 lemon
_Shake and strain into cocktail glass._

Pg. 110, col. 2:
THE BIG APPLE
1/2 applejack
1/4 creme de menthe (white)
1/4 absinthe
_Shake and strain into cocktail glass._

(The drink list is extensive, but DOES NOT have Bloody Mary, Margarita, Pina
Colada, Screwdriver, Moscow Mule, and others.)