Manhattan cocktail

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 26 17:59:38 UTC 2000

   The online OED has the "Manhattan cocktail" from 1890.  They're revising "m," so I don't know if that's their final answer.
   From SCIENTIFIC BAR-KEEPING, A COLLECTION OF RECIPES USED BY LEADING BAR-KEEPERS IN MAKING STANDARD AND NEW FANCY MIXED DRINKS, RELIABLE DIRECTIONS FOR PRESERVING NATIVE AND FOREIGN WINES, ALES, BEER AND LIQUORS.  CAREFULLY COMPILED AND REVISED. (E. N. Cook, Publishers, Buffalo, N.Y. 1884), pg. 8:

   MANHATTAN COCKTAIL.--2 or 3 dashes of gum syrup; 2 or 3 dashes of bitters; 1 wine glass of Italian vermouth; one wine glass of whisky.  Fill the glass with ice; shake well; strain into a cocktail glass; squeeze the juice of lemon rind and serve.