The Smoothy (1977)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 26 18:11:35 UTC 2000

   "Smoothies" are popular, but I see "coolers" and "freezers" also served this summer.  Is the singular "smoothie" or "smoothy"?
   This--the only 1970s yogurt book that had it--is from YOGURT (Persea Books, NY, 1977) by Lorry & Gerry Hausman, pg. 104:

Gerry and I have had our most pleasurable yogurt experiences with "smoothies," yogurt drinks prepared in a blender.  The most important thing to remember is anything goes.  Experiment.  Here are a few basic recipes.
   _THE SMOOTHY_
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. fruit juice, any kind
1 c. yogurt
(Pg. 105--ed.)
You can add fresh fruit to make this even more tantalizing.  Sliced cling peaches, for instance, or strawberries.  Or combinations of these and others.
   Sliced bananas
   One egg
   Pears
   Mango
   Papaya
   Chocolate
   Ovaltine
   Orange juice
   Tangerine juice
   Crangrape, Cranorange, Cranapple or Cranberry
   Frozen fruit (undefrosted)
   Pineapple
   If you like your smoothies more sweet than sour, add honey, jelly, molasses or juice from canned fruits for sweetener.  Also, we use buttermilk as a creamy, complementary base, but you can do without it.  This basic recipe of ours can be changed to suit your preferences, and it is _not_ meant to be a standard, only a reference.  The more juice you add the fruitier the smoothy and the more yogurt, the thicker and more tangy the drink will become.  Add extra milk for more of a milk shake effect.  Ice cubes added will make a delicious frosty-tasting smoothy.  One healthful hint: don't throw away the whey, so to speak.  This is the whitish liquid which sits on top of your yogurt, and it's loaded with vitamins. (you can drink whey all by itself with a little milk added.)