"jukebox"

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Tue Jun 27 09:35:36 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Sunday, June 25, 2000 11:22 AM
Subject: "jukebox"

>Just came across the below item in the current (24 Jun 00) issue of Michael
>Quinion's weekly "World Wide Words" e-column.  I find the story (based on
>
>================================
>
>The jukebox was invented in the late 1930s to provide music in
>those jooks that didn't have their own bands. The first recorded
>appearance of the word was in - of all places - _Time_ magazine, in
>1939: "Glenn Miller attributes his crescendo to the 'juke-box',
>which retails recorded music at 5c a shot in bars, restaurants and
>small roadside dance joints". It's gone up in price a bit since,
>but next time you see one, think of the long linguistic journey
>implied by its name.

I like the latest incarnation of jukebox as an all-in-one software program
for digitizing, playing, and managing music on a computer, i.e. MusicMatch
Jukebox, and RealJukebox.

In a similar vein, in the tradition of the venerable ISP (Internet Service
Provider), and the surprisingly sticky ASP (Application Service Provider),
last week's MP3 conference brought us MSP, Music Service Provider.

Michael Robertson, CEO of MP3.com, has used MSP in the past, and as far as I
know, coined the term, but at the conference last week he unveiled a set of
specs for something called MSP 1.0, an umbrella platform for anybody in the
digital/online music business (aside to Gareth: I'm trying to get a copy for
review 8-).

Time will tell whether this sticks or not...

bkd