octothorpe

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Thu Jun 29 19:06:07 UTC 2000

I've noticed that "number sign" is what you hear in voicemail instructions
("press . . . followed by the number sign")  in Canada -- but I don't know
if that is true across the country.  Which makes more sense to me too than
"pound sign", since it is much more commonly used as a number sign.  In
fact, its use as a sign for pound (meaning weight, not pound Sterling) must
be pretty well obsolete -- at least I can't recall seeing it, except in a
historical context.

Victoria