hazelnuts/filberts

Robert Kelly kelly at BARD.EDU
Fri Jun 30 13:22:51 UTC 2000

all through my childhood (1940s...) I encountered filberts in markets and
delis in NYC, so labeled, both scrawled on paperbag signs, and printed on
cellophane bags.  It was years before I discovered that this was the
famous hazelnut of literature, folklore and recipes.  Right now I can walk
into a supermarket and find  slightly glossier bags of filberts with no
reference on them to hazel.  In NYC, hazel was a color of the eye (my own
were so described on my draft card -- another thread will have to explain
what _that_ was).

RK